|Ailing Loran Coffin (Layer 2)|
|Special Att.||Attr. Req.|
|Weapon Type||Right Hand Weapons|
|Notes||Grants a perpetual Beasthood State when transformed|
- Looted from a Layer 2 chest in the Ailing Loran Chalice Dungeon (Ailing Loran Chalice). Before the 1st lantern of the 2nd Layer.
The Beast Claw has a primary focus on Strength, and is a weapon that caters to an extremely aggressive and unique playstyle.
This is because the weapon, will permanently activate the Beasthood meter, however the rules of Beasthood still apply -- weaker attacks build the meter more slowly, while faster attacks build it more quickly, and the player takes extra damage while the Beasthood meter is active (Beasthood only boosts physical damage, as such do not equip elemental Blood Gems on this weapon).
While one handed, Beasthood is not active, the attacks are all slashes and thrusts, no variation whatsoever, but combos are easy to achieve.
Two-handed, the wielder's left arm transforms into a beast's arm, Beasthood becomes active; evident by the steam that comes from the wielder's body, and the player's regular attacks become a flurry of slashes. The L2 attacks are now very heavy slashes with a third powerful ground smash. The fully charged strong attack also becomes a ground smash (these attacks are slow and have very low range). If the player reverts back to the one-handed state, the Beasthood meter will still be active, but will keep decreasing, without being able to fill it with attacks.
The significant differences to the Beast Claw while this Rune is equipped is how the player is now moving in a way that is much more beast-like, and how their attacks mirror the violence of the beasts they hunt. Even when one-handed, Beasthood is activated as well.
While one-handed, the player will flail the Beast Claw violently, the weak attack combo consist of two horizontal slices, a ground smash and an upward slash; charged attack is a powerful smash with the claw, and only the running strong attack is a thrust.
While two-handed, the weak attack combo are three slices, then a heavy slash, followed by a ground smash; the strong attacks are now based on the L2 attacks of the regular two-handed moveset -- two heavy slices followed by a crushing ground smash with both claws. This time, the attacks cover more range, are faster, and are more fluid. The actual L2 of this mode is a less powerful version of the Beast Roar, but which can stagger and interrupt the attacks or actions of multiple foes, while dealing a minute amount of damage. The other thing of note is that the jumping attack is extremely powerful and has massive range, the player jumps into the air above, and then propels itself at great speed over a long distance, striking with both claws.
- It is a TERRIBLE idea to give this weapon elemental blood gems as Beasthood does not boost elemental damage, only physical damage. Use Fire Paper, Bolt Paper or Empty Phantasm Shell instead to give it a temporary, static boost of elemental damage.
- Using a Beast Blood Pellet does NOT boost the effect, and actually resets the beasthood meter to zero upon wearing off.
- In the dlc The Old Hunters, the player may acquire an Oath Memory Rune called Beast's Embrace that, when equipped, will transform the player into a beast. While wielding the Beast Claws, the player will adopt a more feral style of movement and the moveset for the weapon will change.
- Despite the description claiming that it borrows power from the Darkbeast, the weapon has no affiliation with bolt damage. It can, however, be infused with bolt gems or buffed with Bolt Paper.
- Beast's Embrace jump attack greatly reduces fall damage.
- This weapon is used by a Yahar'Gul NPC hunter when the blood moon rises (after slaying Rom), implying he too, like the one in the Ailing Loran Chalice Dungeon, is an acquaitance, follower or friend of Irreverent Izzy.