Blood Echoes are obtained by killing enemies or consuming blood echo items. The amount of Blood Echoes an enemy drops is determined by the strength of said enemy. The player starts out with a different amount of Blood Echoes depending on their Origin.
Recovering Blood Echoes
Blood Echoes can be recovered in two ways. The first is by finding the location of your previous death. A blood stain will contain your echoes if there are no nearby enemies to absorb the echoes. Upon death however, enemies can absorb your blood echoes if their spawn location is close enough to your death location. The closest enemy will absorb all your echoes if there are multiple enemies within the range; this is determined without account for height so enemies that spawn below and above you can absorb your echoes. Enemies carrying your echoes are identified by their glowing eyes, which also signifies that they have become stronger by absorbing your blood echoes.
If you die and reload your save, your blood stain (even if an enemy absorbed your Blood Echoes) will be relocated at the Lecture Building just before the library hall outside the lamp room(1st floor).
Blood Echoes can be used to purchase items from the Bath Messenger in the Hunter's Dream. They can also be used to level up your character via The Doll. Echoes can be used to fortify and repair your weapons in the Hunter's Dream as well.
- Witch's Abode - The Executioners can be staggered easily, making use of the Heir rune (since they will be the bulk of Blood Echoes here). Run back to either the lamp in the area or use a Bold Hunter's Mark.
- Hypogean Gaol - kill the all the Kidnappers nearby. They are easy to parry and drop plenty of Blood Echoes at early levels.
- Lecture Building - first players must find the Lecture Theatre Key and unlock the door it opens, as well as the shortcut that leads to the Lamp in the area. Simply go to the room filled with Slime Scholars and kill them. Using attacking with elemental damage will help.
- Mergo's Loft Middle - go further through the area, killing the Shadows of Yharnam encountered along the way. Kill the first Maneater Boar with a visceral attack and then run past the other two, into the Shadows of Yharnam congregation further up ahead. The Maneater Boar is hostile towards them and will attack them. Aid either the side so that there is a minimum of enemies focused on you at any given time. Head back to Lamp through the lift.
- Ailing Loran Layer Two (Ailing Loran Chalice)- go to the optional area before the Lamp of the 2nd Layer. Kill the Labyrinth Rats and the Beast Claw NPC, and then kill the Scourge Beast hidden behind the caskets. Use a Bold Hunter's Mark to repeat the process. This method is extremely effective and nets about 66k+ with all Moon runes.
- Blood Echoes dropped increase the more the player ventures into further "New Games".
- The icon for Blood Echoes is the symbol of the Hunter's Mark.
- There are only two runes that affect Blood Echoes received. The Moon and Heir.