|Sold by Messengers for 50000 Blood Echoes after joining the Cainhurst Vilebloods covenant.|
|Special Att.||Attr. Req.|
|Weapon Type||Right Hand Weapons|
|Transform||1H Katana, 2H Katana|
|Imprints||Normal (Radial, Radial, Triangle)|
|Notes||the transformed mode continuously drains health|
The Chikage is a katana that drains the player's health when transformed in exchange for pure Bloodtinge damage.
While players are encouraged to pay attention to their health bar so they don't accidently kill themselves, it really shouldn't matter as much since the health drain is rather slow and is based on percentages. Meaning you are always losing health at the same rate regardless of your Vitality.
The thing that makes this weapon standout is its secondary mode. The Blood Mode that deals "pure" Bloodtinge damage. Bloodtinge damage is extremely powerful because it is a damage type that is neither physical nor elemental. Most common enemies have high resistances against both physical and arcane/elemental. Bloodtinge is something that most enemies only have a moderate resistance.
Because of this enemies will die in very few hits in comparison with other weapons that are categorized as "Heavy Hitters" such as the Ludwig's Holy Blade and the Kirkhammer provided you have the appropriate Bloodtinge level to boost its attack.
As is with any weapon that deals Bloodtinge damage (firearms and trick weapons that have a firearm mode), you can simply boost your bloodtinge damage with regular Physical Attack-Up gems.
- This was the only pure Bloodtinge weapon in the game until The Old Hunters DLC brought a new one; The Bloodletter.
- When transformed, the Chikage's damage is based solely on its bloodtinge scaling. In its normal form its damage is based on its strength and skill scaling respectively.
- Bloodtinge damage instantly knocks down spiders, dogs and Cainhurst Servants.
- The charge attack of the transformed version drains health at a faster rate while charging so it is possible to kill yourself with this attack.
- In a similar vein to Patches the Spider, the Chikage is the recurring continuation of a legacy of katana-type swords that drain the players health, with an iteration of such weapon appearing in all of the other Souls games. This includes Hiltless, Magic Sword "Makoto" and the Chaos Blade.
- Another similarity the Chikage has with the self-damaging weapons (albeit only aesthetically) is that both it and the Chaos Blade from Dark Souls have red ribbons attached to their sheaths.