|Voiced By||William Houston|
The password Gatekeeper was a member of Byrgenwerth Scholars.
He was one of the two last loyal servants of Master Willem. The two still remained with Willem after the departure of Laurence. Willem sent them to explore the catacombs beneath Yharnam and they went mad after an encounter with the Eldrith truth. Despite their madness, they still served Master Willem faithfully.
Willem then entrusted one with the mission of guarding the graveyard next to Byrgenwerth and the other with the gate to Forbidden Woods. If anyone wanted to go back to the institute, as Master Willem had hope, they would remember the old provost's warning "Fear the old blood".
Following his master's order, the gatekeeper brought along several incense pots and guarded the door to Forbidden Woods. He was dedicated to his mission and now he has been dead long ago. But he, who is now only a ghost of distant past, still asks by-passers the password should they want to get through his door.
|Talk to him||The password...|
|Keep quiet||The password... got to close the door...|
|Sporadically||The password… ah…. the password… the password…
Knows that I’m at the door and got to…. got to close the door…. got to close…Oh no, no, no, no...Someone at the door. got to get the door, got to get the door.
Who’s there, who’s there? Don't you wish you could hear them when they are coming... You mustn't... Oh, no, no... it bit me, bit me…he was bleeding...Oh, no no no no. He was bleeding... he wasn't...No, no, no, no not like that, no, no, no...
Gotta get the door... Must get the door...No, no, no. Knock, knock, knock, all day. Knock, knock, knock all day, all day, all day, all day... all day, knock, knock, knock...
- To get the password, the player must defeat Vicar Amelia and interact with the skull on the altar.
- Inspecting his corpse yields a Madman's Knowledge.
- His dialogue suggests that many hunters had contacted the Gatekeeper but none could give him the correct password.
- Upon inspecting his corpse, the message "Already dead" will pop up. This, along with his skeletal remains, suggest that The Hunter was interacting with the ghost of the Gatekeeper all along.
- The Hunter, is seemingly the first and only one to give the gatekeeper the correct and intended password. It's rather strange since Laurence's Skull is held at Cathedral Ward. The only possible reason is that thanks to associated with the dream, the moon-scented hunter is able to contact with the memory of the first vicar. But still, there were countless hunters before The Hunter had visited Hunter's Dream but yet the gate still shut tight.
- Several incense pots can be seen scattered around him, likely to make sure that beasts would not approach him.