Gestures are most commonly used to display some kind of emotion or try to entice other players to do something, although in rare cases they serve a practical purpose. For example, a gesture that seems like a taunt may bait anger, while a gesture that looks welcoming may attract friendliness. Meanwhile, gestures can also be used in imaginative ways, such as this.
Once a player engages in a Gesture, they cannot perform any action until the animation is over. This include rolling, attacking or running, this means that gestures will leave players vulnerable
Types of Gestures
There are, in essence, three types of gestures:
- Static- the Hunter engages in an animation that takes a certain amount of time to complete and cannot move until it ends;
- Dynamic- these engage in an animation whereas the player can still move around and turn to face other direction;
- Permanent- similar to the "Static" gestures, but instead allows the player to stand permanently in that position until the player tries to move or perform an action.
List of Gestures
These gestures are available to the player at the start of the game
- Hunter's Rally
- Hunter's Salutation
- Point Forward
- Sit Down
These gestures must be acquired from NPCs or by other means
- Approval (learned from Eileen the Crow in the Tomb of Oedon, after defeating Henryk)
- Beg for Life (learned from Patches the Spider upon meeting him on the other side of the door on the Lecture Building)
- Brush off Dust (learned from Djura's non-hostile option)
- Church Bow (Female) (learned from Sister Adella in Cathedral Ward)
- Church Bow (Male) (learned from Alfred in the Forbidden Woods)
- Curtsy (learned from Arianna in Cathedral Ward)
- Deep Respect (give 1 Blood Dreg to Annalise, Queen of the Vilebloods)
- League Oath (learned from Valtr after crushing 1 Vermin)
- League Oath (Master variant) (the League Oath gesture turns automatically into this one upon crushing 5 Vermin)
- Make Contact (learned from a mummy in Upper Cathedral Ward)
- Respect (learned from Annalise, Queen of the Vilebloods in Forsaken Cainhurst Castle)
- Roar (learned from Alfred in Forsaken Cainhurst Castle)
- Shake off Cape (learned from Eileen the Crow in Central Yharnam)
- Shh! (learned from Eileen the Crow outside of Oedon Chapel, after opening both gates to the Cathedral Ward)
- Triumph (learned from Oedon Chapel Dweller after sending an NPC to Oedon Chapel)
- Wait (learned from Eileen the Crow outside of the Grand Cathedral)
- Gestures serve no practical purpose with exception of one. The "Contact" gesture.
- Eileen is the character that grants the most amount of gestures in the game, a grand total of 5.
- Bloodborne was the first game to have a character react to gestures, that character is the Doll. In Dark Souls 3 this was replicated by having the Firekeeper react to gestures in the same manner as the Doll.