Though its name might sound strange, the meaning of Hypogean Gaol becomes clearer when translated to a more common dialect. That is to say, it means "Underground Jail".
From the moment players are carried by the Kidnapper and left in their cell, they understand that this is not a normal jail. The darkness of the building and the ominous choir in the background will make most anyone experience disconfort. The underlying notion that something is wrong. That there is something grave and dangerous, hidden away at the heart of this place.
This is one of the destinations for all the stagecoaches that bring the coffins from Yharnam. Who knows why they are brought here.
- The Hunter must die to a Kidnapper (for this enemy to spawn in the world, players must first defeat the Blood-starved Beast)
- Sister Adella (found at the lower level of the jail)
- After triggering the "Blood Moon" event, this lamp will be broken and will never accessible again until players start another NG (New Game).
- "Hypogean" means underground or "subterranean". "Gaol" means "jail".
- Though there is no way to confirm this, it is likely that this lamp is destroyed by the Yahar'gul hunters, deployed by the school of Mensis, in order to ensure that the "ritual" that is taking place in Advent Plaza is not interrupted.
- When first entering this area and exploring Yahar'gul, Unseen Village prior to the Blood Moon, the track Hail the Nightmare is played in the distance and loops continuously until the player leaves. It is unknown where exactly the chant is coming from, despite obviously being nearby, but some theories suggest that it originates from the school where Micolash and his follower's corpses can be found, where they are conducting a ritual to bring them into the Nightmare of Mensis. However, this is only speculation.