The Moon Cycles are a progression mechanic in Bloodborne.
Moon Cycles are a visual marker of progression in the story of Bloodborne. They are triggered upon interacting with something in the game that changes the perception of the Hunter. However, this perception is also passed on to the entire world surrounding him. And the characters in the world will react accordingly.
- 1st Cycle
- Starting cycle when player begins the game.
- Visually, it is still yet to be night, the sun is setting, the sky is orange in color.
- 2nd Cycle
- Final Cycle
- Triggered by approaching the Woman in Bride's Dress, after defeating Rom, the Vacuous Spider.
- The lamp in Hypogean Gaol will become unavailable. The chants in the place will also be silenced.
- The Kidnappers in Cathedral Ward and Yahar'gul, Unseen Village are killed off.
- Most Yharnamites will succumb to either madness or the beast scourge, and thus become unavailable to interact with, either making grunting noises or mad ravings.
- Players should rescue all rescuable NPCs before the Blood Moon rises. If the player fails to do this, the NPC will become unavailable for the rest of the game.
- Few places ingame are actually affected by the Bloodmoon. It seems only Central Yharnam, Cathedral Ward, and Yahar'gul, Unseen Village are visibly under the Bloodmoon.
- Few places ingame are completely unaffected by the Moon Cycles: Hunter's Nightmare, Fishing Hamlet, Nightmare Frontier, Nightmare of Mensis. These places are different layers of the dream and thus are unaffacted by the moon cycles of the waking world.
- The Moon phase in Hunter's Dream is not affected by the Moon phase in the waking world. The Blood Moon in Hunter's Dream rises when the Moon Presence descends. After it leaves, the moon becomes normal again.