|An initial weapon choice from the Messengers.|
|Special Att.||Attr. Req.|
|Weapon Type||Right Hand Weapons|
|Imprints||Radial, Radial, Waning|
|Aux. Effect|| Serration|
| While transformed|
- One of the three starting Trick Weapons gifted from the Messengers.
- Sold by Messengers after acquiring the Saw Hunter Badge.
The Saw Cleaver is one of the starting weapons presented to the player upon arrival to the Hunter's Dream, though it may be purchased from the Messengers should the player acquire the Saw Hunter Badge.
As one of the starting weapons; it alongside the Hunter Axe, is a Strength-based weapon, though it has almost equal scaling of both Skill and Strength like its counterpart, the Saw Spear; however, the Saw Cleaver scales more with Strength. Additionally, while in its untransformed state the Saw Cleaver deals Serration damage, which deals an additional 20% damage against beast enemies. Similar to the Threaded Cane, the Saw Cleaver allows the wielder to utilise a sidearm in both untransformed and transformed states.
While in its untransformed mode, the Saw Cleaver's moveset focuses primarily on rapid attacks that consume very little stamina per attack; however, it also has a short range. Alternatively, while in its transformed mode, the moveset begins to focus on slower, more powerful attacks, and the Saw Cleaver's range increases; however, in its transformed mode, the Saw Cleaver loses its Serration damage bonus.
A weapon that the Saw Cleaver is frequently compared to is the Saw Spear; out of the two, the Saw Cleaver possesses the greater Strength scaling, whereas the Saw Spear possesses superior Skill scaling. Additionally, the Saw Cleaver lacks the Serration damage bonus in its transformed mode, whereas the Saw Spear has a Serration damage bonus in both forms. Finally, the Saw Cleaver deals Physical damage with its attacks, whereas the Saw Spear deals Physical, Thrust and Blunt damage with its attacks, though both have Serration damage.
- This weapon deals Serrated Damage in its closed mode. Serrated damage deals 20% more damage against "true" Beasts.
- It can be a good idea to infuse this weapon with fire Blood Gems as its serrated damage will multiply it against beasts.
- The Saw Spear is its Skill-scaling counterpart.
- The moveset is shown .
- The Saw Cleaver, along with the Hunter Blunderbuss, are the flagship weapons of Bloodborne, being wielded by the Hunter in several screenshots, promotional art, and on the game's box art.
- Starting weapon for the Saw Hunter Class that was showcased in the Bloodborne Alpha.
- Early footage, courtesy of IGN, of Bloodborne show the Saw Cleaver as doing 90 physical damage and having a durability of 340.
- Both the Saw Cleaver and the Saw Spear appear to be based on the fusion of two Old Hunter weapons, the Beasthunter Saif and Beast Cutter.
- It is Henryk's weapon of choice, a strange one as Henryk also uses the Throwing Knives, known for their scaling in Skill, rather than Strength. A more logical choice of weapon would be the Saw Spear.
- The Saw Cleaver weapon icon lacks the saw teeth that appear on the in-game weapon.