|An initial weapon choice from the Messengers (Hunter's Dream).|
|Special Att.||Attr. Req.|
|Weapon Type||Right Hand Weapons|
|Imprints||Normal (Radial, Radial, Waning)|
|Aux. Effect||20% Serration||transformed mode deals Serration|
- One of the three starting Trick Weapons, gifted from the Messengers (Hunter's Dream).
- Sold by Messengers after acquiring the Saw Hunter Badge.
As a starting weapon, this one is considered to be the worst choice of the bunch.
Though it has a great untransformed moveset in "saw" form, its cleaver form leaves much to be desired. Especially since every attack has no Thrust or Blunt attack whatsoever and its moveset is very much the same.
Often times players will just skip this weapon entirely and acquire the Saw Spear which can be found within the first half-hour of gameplay.
The major differences between these two very similar weapons are:
- The Cleaver has slightly higher base damage
- the Cleaver is mostly Strength based, while the Spear is mostly Skill based
- The Cleaver has one mode that deals serrated damage, whereas the Saw Spear has both dealing serrated damage
- the Cleaver deals only physical damage, while the Spear also has thrust and blunt attacks, making its moveset more varied
In the end the evidence is clear, the Saw Spear is mostly a more versatile option.
Especially because in "Quality" builds (builds with the same amount of level investment in both Strength and Skill), both weapons deal essentially the same damage.
The Cleaver is, however, useful in two situations. If players are playing a Strength-focused playstyle, or a build with no stat investment (a Blood Level 4 build), then the Saw Cleaver should be the weapon of choice.
- This weapon deals Serrated Damage in its closed mode. Serrated damage deals 20% more damage against "True" Beasts.
- It can be a good idea to infuse this weapon with fire Blood Gems as its serrated damage will multiply it against beasts.
- The Saw Spear is its Skill-scaling counterpart.
- The Saw Cleaver, along with the Hunter Blunderbuss, are the flagship weapons of Bloodborne, being wielded by the Hunter in several screenshots, promotional art, and on the game's box art.
- Starting weapon for the Saw Hunter Class that was showcased in the Bloodborne Alpha.
- Early footage, courtesy of IGN, of Bloodborne show the Saw Cleaver as doing 90 physical damage and having a durability of 340.
- Both the Saw Cleaver and the Saw Spear appear to be based on the fusion of two Old Hunter weapons, the Beasthunter Saif and Beast Cutter.
- It is Henryk's weapon of choice, a strange one as Henryk also uses the Throwing Knives, known for their scaling in Skill, rather than Strength. A more logical choice of weapon would be the Saw Spear.