|Third Umbilical Cord|
|Max No. Held||4|
|QS Bullet Use||-|
| Abandoned Old Workshop corpse|
Defeat Mergo's Wet Nurse
Arianna's infant's corpse
|Notes|| Gain +3 Insight.|
Consuming three (3) will unlock an alternate ending.
Abandoned Old Workshop corpse:
Arianna's infant (if slain):
- Found in the Abandoned Old Workshop in the Cathedral Ward.
- Dropped by Iosefka if killed after the Blood Moon rises, must use backdoor entrance from Forbidden Woods.
- Dropped by Arianna's child (if you sent her to Oedon Chapel), after defeating Micolash, Host of the Nightmare.
- Dropped by Mergo's Wet Nurse.
- Grants +3 Insight
- Consuming three (3) One Third of Umbilical Cords, before fighting Gehrman, the First Hunter in the Hunter's Dream, will unlock a new ending
Since there are a total of 4 Umbilical Cords, yet only 3 are needed to unlock the secret boss fight, the best course of action to ensure a maximum reward of unique items is to do as followed:
- First, find Arianna and send her to Cathedral Ward.
- Go to Old Yharnam and slay the Blood-starved Beast.
- Find the Umbilical Cord in the Abandoned Old Workshop.
- Find Adella and send her to the Cathedral Ward to get her gesture, and kill her there to get the Oedon Writhe rune.
- Send the Afflicted Beggar to Iosefka (this ensures the player gets his rune without having to go through his fight).
- Before the Blood Moon rises, kill Iosefka for her Oedon Writhe rune.
- Progress through the game, and as soon as Micolash is dead, kill Arianna's infant to get the other Umbilical Cord.
- Slay Mergo to get the final Umbilical Cord.
- There are a total of 4 Thirds of Umbilical Cords, but only 3 are needed for the ending
- The umbilical cord is completely covered with eyes.