|Locations|| Nightmare Frontier,|
Nightmare of Mensis,
|Drops|| Blood Gems,|
12 Pebble (rare)
Winter Lanterns are grotesque creatures with bulbous heads formed from the remains of Messengers, and wearing a ruined version of the Doll's Attire. Their gaze causes rapid Frenzy build-up and they are capable of using the long tentacles dangling from their heads to grab the player and inflict a painful bite.
They can be detected by their eerie singing and will glow orange, illuminating the surrounding area when she detects any signs of a players presence, whether by players getting within line of sight or by making noises.
They appear only in Nightmares (fittingly so)
Sedatives should be on hand when dealing with Winter Lanterns in order to remove Frenzy build-up (Frenzy will trigger more quickly with higher Insight). They also use a grab attack which prevents the Hunter from taking any actions and is most often fatal. Obstacles can be used to block their gaze and stop the Frenzy bar from filling up. Note that Frenzy will continue to increase for a short time after breaking the line of sight.
Usually the best course of action when dealing with Winter Lanterns is to use a weapon capable of staggering them.
This is a very important factor when facing them as Winter Lanterns are very stagger resistance to small weapons such as the Saw Spear and Threaded Cane. Using Weapons like the Kirkhammer and Ludwig's Holy Blade are ideal, but there is also a weapon that is often overlooked, the Beasthunter Saif, as it can stagger these enemies in its unfolded form.
Alternatively, players could try to stun-lock them with transform attacks which are very stagger heavy, even in small weapons.
It is possible to interrupt the Winter Lantern's grab, leaving it vulnerable to Visceral Attacks, which can nullify the damage caused by Frenzy build-up if it fills up while the visceral animation is being performed. However, this requires precise timing and can be fatal if the player fires too early or too late. The grab attack propels the Winter Lantern's body forward therefore evading sideways is recommended as they can catch the player if they try to back-step.
Although risky, it is always an option to sprint past Winter Lanterns however, in places where there are many, this means you will be chased by them at the same time. Perhaps a strategy for players that already know what lies ahead of them.
- Wearing Deep Sea and Great Deep Sea runes can aid the player in resisting the Frenzy buildup. The Ashen Hunter Set and Beak Mask are also of great help as they have the best Frenzy resistance in-game.
- Having a weapon capable of staggering the Winter Lanterns is the ideal course of action to defeat them reliably. Alternatively, players can parry her grab attack.
- Farming the Winter Lanterns in the hidden area of Mergo's Loft Middle yields very good physical Cursed Blood Gems. The ones in the Fishing Hamlet will yield the best possible within the game outside of high-level Chalice Dungeons.
- Under the mass of flesh, eyes and maws that compose the Winter Lantern's head it's possible to see a rather humanoid body with two arms and two legs: this body is dressed with a torn red dress, with long skirt and sleeves. They also have very similar hands to the Doll, thus suggesting Winter Lanterns are related to the Doll in some sense or another.
- Another interesting thing about these horrid creatures is that their brains appear to be made of Messenger corpses meshed together as if they melted on the Winter Lantern's mind.